Sunday, August 23, 2015

Check Out Your Library - Books and Groups


Hey there!

I had to get three teeth pulled Friday but I made sure I stopped by my local library beforehand. One, I stopped by to pick up 5 books that they were holding for me and two, I wanted to attend my first "Sassenach Stories; An Outlander Gathering". 

Last things first - My library has a gathering of folks that like Outlander, the books and the television series. It's headed by one of our librarians (are we allowed to call them that? To me, that's a very reverent title and is perfect for them!) and was attended by 11 very nice people.

I had a really enjoyable time with my new Outlander friends. We talked about the books and the television series - similarities and differences. We swooned over Jamie, because why not? We got a reading list with the order that you should read Diana Gabaldon's books in (the ones pertaining to the Outlander series). We had Scottish shortbread cookies. And, we just had a fun time. 

We talked about online Outlander bookclubs, facebook groups, and live groups that meet around town. This particular group gathers once a month at the library and while I'm not an Outlander fanatic, I do plan on joining them anytime I can. 

First things last, I picked up 5 books. I'm lazy in that I let the library pull my books for me. I order them online and then wait a few days and pick them all up. 

I picked up Ms. Marvel which is the very first graphic novel I have ever read. I'm not sure why it's called a graphic novel instead of comic book but whateves. 

I picked up The Queen of The Tearling. I've, of course, heard a lot about it so I thought I'd check it out. I don't know specifically what it's about but I do that from time to time. I'll read according to pretty covers or everyone else's reviews. 

Throne of Glass is the first book in the series with the same name. I finished A Court of Thorns and Roses and loved it. I figure this series should be just as good. 

Off The Page was a book that someone on BookTube hauled. It's supposed to be a cute YA romance. I thought after all the paranormal and adult books, this should be a nice change of pace. 

Magonia had a pretty cover. It also had an interesting topic. To my knowledge it's about a girl with a breathing disorder that sees a ship in the sky. Her family thinks that she sees this ship because of all of the medicines that she takes for her breathing disorder. I think she goes on the ship and is able to breathe normally. And so the dilemma  begins. 

I don't have to tell you how wonderful the library is. You get to read all of these great books for free. I even borrowed Alice In Zombieland for my kindle! Happy days!

When was the last time you checked out your library? What services do you enjoy best? If your library card isn't up to date, you are missing out on some fantastic adventures!



(<a href="http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/14390305/?claim=avmh3knf57c">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>)

No comments:

Post a Comment