Sunday, August 2, 2015

What I Bought - July 2015


Hey there!

I bought quite a few books in July. I've been getting back into the swing of the reading thing. I spent a few months packing and moving so I didn't get to read like I wanted to. Now, I'm all moved and ready to get back in action. 

In the month of July, all of my book purchases came from the thrift store. Yep! I picked up all of them from Goodwill and Value Village and other thrift stores. I don't like paying full price for anything so it makes since that I'd go cheap on books too.

Let's begin with my girlie girl/chick lit books. I picked up Hope In a Jar by Beth Harbison, Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin and The Debutante Divorcée by Plum Sykes. I don't know anything about Beth Harbison but the cover looked good and the topic of going to your high school reunion seemed interesting. I had no desire to go to mine, but you know! I just finished another book by Emily Giffin so it was just reflex that made me pick up Something Borrowed. And, The Debutante Divorcée looked good because I've read the Bergdorf Blondes by Plum Sykes and enjoyed it.



I always have to look at one or two non-fiction books. Gotta expand the mind, you know. I settled on Three Black Skirts by Anna Johnson, Incense, The Complete Book of Oils & Brews by Scott Cunningham, The One Year Book of Inspiration for Girlfriends by Ellen Miller and I Dare You by Joyce Meyer. Three Black Skirts is one that I will read straight through and of course The One Year Book of Inspiration for Girlfriends and I Dare You are books that I will read during my morning inspirational reading time. So, those books may take several months to finish. The Complete Book of Oils & Brews will be a reference book, so I don't have to read it in one sitting.



A lady in the Goodwill store told me I just had to read Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen. I don't really know what it's about but I thought I'd pick it up and try it out. She looked nice and like she read a lot. What better reason to pick up a book, huh?



But Mama Always Put Vodka In The Sangria by Julia Reed looked fun. It's one of those story plus cookbooks. I love cookbooks so one that adds a nice story is a plus.



The fact that I picked up Rhett Butler's People by Donald McCaig doesn't surprise anyone that knows me. I loooooove Gone With The Wind -- yes the book. I own the movie and watch it at least twice a year but I have also read the book and love it very much. More than I enjoy the GWTW book itself, I enjoy the parodies. I enjoy parodies and the books that spin off of the original book in general. I like that they try to tell us what happened before, after and alongside the original book (authorized books are fine but unauthorized books are great!). That's why you see Mr. & Mrs. Fitzwilliam Darcy by Sharon Lathan. It's a book about what happens after the wedding. It will either be really good or really bad. Wither by Lauren DeStefano just looked interesting. The cover looked good and the description make it sound like something I'd enjoy reading.

Yep! Twelve books purchased in the month of July. Yeah, that's a lot. No, I won't read them all within the next month or two but I will make a very concerted effort to read them soon. Do I plan on reading any of them in August? Two of them look like they will make the cut (and of course three of them aren't for reading all at one time).

What did you buy last month and how many of those books are you planning on reading soon?

No comments:

Post a Comment