Sunday, September 13, 2015

BOOK REVIEW - Cloak And Silence by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Hey there!

As I said in my Goodreads review of Cloak and Silence by Sherrilyn Kenyon, it's really not fair to write a review because Sherrilyn Kenyon could write a book about dog poo and it would be the best ever!

I came across Sherrilyn's books when I needed a book to read on a plane and picked up Acheron. WHOA BABY! That's one to pick up as your first Sherrilyn Kenyon book! It just slams you into her writing style.

Sherrilyn's books have touches of dark and light magic in them. There's lots of action and ass kicking. And, when she adds a love scene, it fits. It's not gratuitous sex. It has a purpose to the story.  The romantic parings are fantastic and you know that the couples are meant to be together.

This SK book is book 7 from The League series. It's about Maris and Ture, two very hunky men that met in a previous League series book. Sorry, I don't know which one because I completely read this series out of sequence. The great thing is that you are almost ok if you don't read them in sequence. Yes, there will be some spoilers but I'm okay with them.

The book opens with Ture and his friend Zarya having been captured and tortured and Ture has very little faith that anyone is going to save them. Zarya, on the other hand, believes that her love (aptly named) Darling and Darling's best friend Maris will save them. When they do save them, it doesn't take long for Ture to fall in love with Maris.

Both characters have had to keep secrets in their lives and you get great insight as to how they kept these secrets, who they trusted and when/where that trust has taken them. Sherrilyn wonderfully knits her tale with flashbacks to help you understand both characters. You feel for both of them and root for their love.

Maris and Ture fall in love with each other and have to fight for that love. Sherrilyn tells you in the preface that this book is different. Really, it's not. You have bad asses that kick butt and take names, a group of the best soldiers that make a family unit, and a love store intertwined. I love a great romance and it makes very little difference if the characters are a man and a women, two men or two women. Hell, I read books about shape shifters and "doing it" with dragons so... What I don't like is a book that is just gratuitous sex for no reason or a poorly developed love story.

This book is neither of those things. I could go on and on and keep singing Sherrilyn's praises but that would get boring for you and keep me from reading other books in The League series. I say get your hands on this book (and the rest of the series) now!


I gave this book 5 stars because GR won't allow me to give it more.

No comments:

Post a Comment