Tuesday, September 8, 2015

What I Bought- August 2015


Hey there!

Sooooo, I bought a lot of books in August -- 18 books to be exact! What can I say? It was a very good month at the Goodwill stores.

To run through quickly...

Out of Sight by Elmore Leonard is such a great book and a wonderful movie as well. I saw the movie first (Jennifer Lopez and George Clooney -yum) and fell in love. Then I saw the book at the library and picked up it. Oh, amazing. The movie follows very closely to the book. Elmore Leonard writes a great novel. I've ready several of his books. When I saw this at Goodwill I had to snatch it up for my shelf. Yes, I will read it again. It was just that good.

Circle of Desire by Carla Swafford is the first book in a series by Carla Swafford. I got the second book in a RT book haul (years ago!) and wanted to read the first book before reading the second one. I got this one from amazon (second hand) and at $4, it's the most expensive book in the entire haul.

Highlander Most Wanted by Maya Banks was a no-brainer buy. Maya Banks is an auto-buy author. I love everything she writes and I have a portion of my book shelf dedicated to her (almost the entire shelf -- yep! It's that deep). I have read this book and it was great. I gave it 4 stars and I'm ready to read the rest of the series (and anything else she puts out!).

I haven't read anything by J.R. Ward but I saw Covet at the thrift store and decided I'd try it. The Alchemyst by Michael Scott was the same thing. I had heard about it on BookTube and when I saw it, decided I need to get it.

The Soldier's Lady by Michael R. Phillips was a book that I stumbled on and decided I need to try it out. I've never even heard of Michael R. Phillips, and this is the second book in a series but I wanted to read it. It's a historical romance and I really love historicals. I'm betting that I won't really miss the first book that much and if I do like it, I can find it online, I'm sure.

Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides and The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros are total BookTube buys. Middlesex is one that I've seen and not sure that I want to read and The House on Mango Street is one that I've seen and really want to read. I decided to get them both to balance out my reading.

Where Peachtree Meets Sweet Auburn: A Saga of Race and Family by Gary M. Pomerantz is a historical novel set in my hometown of Atlanta. I love history and I love history in my hometown. It sounds interesting and it will be a bit of a break from what I normally read.

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher and The Museum of Extraordinary Things by Alice Hoffman are again, BookTube buys. I have seen them both on YouTube and thought they might be interesting.

The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis...well you know! I read The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe as a child and began Prince Caspian as an older child. I figured I needed to add this big book to my collection and my plan is to begin reading it in the fall and take my time reading it. I am SUPER excited about taking my time to read this one and really enjoying it.

Radiant Shadows by Melissa Marr was a "pretty cover" purchase. The cover was just so shiny. Unfortunately, this is the 4th book in a series so I have to read 1 - 3. I think I need to check out book one from the library, you know, just in case.

Beneath The Glitter is written by Elle & Blair Fowler. I use to watch their beauty vlogs on YouTube and saw when they were just getting this book ready for market. I kinda wanted to read it then but it was a fleeting thought. When I saw it at the thrift store for $2.92, I knew that I needed to grab it.

Juliet by Anne Fortier is another "pretty cover" buy. I have never heard of it but it sounds interesting. It looks like one of those books that I'll read slowly but I am interested to get to it.

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs is all over BookTube. I wanted to read it when I heard about it and got very excited when I found it in the thrift store. I grabbed it up and looked around to see if anyone else saw my good find (yep, I'm crazy this way).

And, Delirium by Lauren Oliver, again, a "pretty cover" buy. Luckily, it's the first book in a series (because I've kinda sucked at getting book one's this month). Not sure If I'll like it but at less than 3 bucks, it's ok.

I've mentioned the $2.92 price and alluded to the $1.91 price a few times. At Goodwill, hardback books are $2.92 and paperbacks are $1.91. If your book has the sticker color of the week, it's half price. I love looking through Goodwill and Value Village and other thrift stores. This past month all of my books (except the one purchase from Amazon) came from Goodwill and many of them were during half price week or a sale time. I don't like paying full price for anything so this serves me well.

I don't normally purchase this many books in a month but I found ones that really excited me. I wouldn't normally buy 18 books because I normally only read half of that in a month. But, you gotta have goals!


What did you find last month? What are you planning to read first?

No comments:

Post a Comment