Sunday, September 20, 2015

BOOK REVIEW - The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros


Hey there!

The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros is so fantastic! It's a quick read but it's a mighty read! It is a beautiful photo album of all of the people that Sandra has met on Mango Street. It's written vignette style and each chapter is a deeper peek into Sandra's life as well as the people around her.

It's so descriptive and you can relate to all of the characters. She speaks life into each one of them and in 1 - 2 pages you learn all about each person or family. You understand their life as seen through the eyes of a young girl (which as an adult reading it, you immediately understand what is really happening). You either know them, live with them or by them or you are them! I love that she captured the vibe of the people on her street.

You just have to run out and get this book. I am so upset that I wasn't required to read this book in school. I think everyone should read this. I am on the fence about making it required reading in schools. I don't want it to be something that you dread reading because it's so good. But, I certainly think that it should be introduced to everyone. Sandra's neighborhood description will get the mind juices flowing. Anyone with a creative bone will either want to write about their neighborhood, "draw about it" or read more about other folks' neighborhood. It made me want to run out and get more from Ms. Cisneros.


I gave this book 5 stars. A definite must read!

No comments:

Post a Comment