Wednesday, September 23, 2015

BOOK REVIEW - Never Enough by Lauren Dane



Hey there!

Never Enough is the fourth book in the Brown Family series. This particular Brown is Adrian Brown, the rock star.

The main character is Gillian Forrester. She is raising her adopted son Miles who is the son of her deceased sister. She has done a great job of raising Miles and building a life for the two of them and then her sister (who hasn't been a part of their lives at all) dies. Upon her sister's death she reveals that Miles' father is Adrian Brown. She says that she never told Adrian she was pregnant so he doesn't know that he has a son.

Adrian Brown is a rockstar that holds family very near and dear to his heart. He keeps close to his privacy and of course, doesn't take too kindly to Gillian when she comes to him and tells him that she is raising his son. Even though he makes a horrific stink (and I do mean very horrific), once he realizes that Miles is his son and once he sees Gillian, Miles and the family she's build for him, he mellows pretty quickly.

The main three characters in this book become "Insta-family". You are supposed to see that it has gradually happened but it really hasn't. It happens within a matter of weeks. That didn't bother me. What I had to get over was the fact that Lauren Dane goes from portraying Gillian as a firm mother figure to her sister's son to sleeping with the man that her sister had slept with 13 years prior.

I know we have seen this book trope before and because it's not new, it shouldn't even bother me. For about 2 days it did, so I put this book down and then came back to it later. Nothing on Lauren, all on me.

The secondary characters are very secondary. The main trio would have been okay in a standalone book. But, the secondary characters in Adrian's life had already built their lives in other books and I really missed out because I hadn't read them. One storyline in particular, left me wanting to read their book so I will probably pickup one of the other Brown books.

The pace of the book is odd. It's fast and slow and moves like molasses. I felt like it was about 50 pages too long. I felt like once we got to a certain point in the story, it was just time to let the characters (and me) get on with their lives.

Over all I liked the story, once I wrapped my head around the fact that this was not a plot driven book, I was ok. It had a plot that I would have loved to see developed differently. I just had to see this as a erotic novel that had a plot. Then I read it and felt better about finishing it.


I give this book 4 stars. And, I give this book that rating on it being an Steamy sex book that has a bit of plot. If I have to go back and make it a novel with steamy sex, I have to take a star away. 

No comments:

Post a Comment